June 1 @ 9:00 am - 2:00 pm
I Am Not Sick, I Don’t Need Help!
Have you ever heard a loved one say these words when it is clear to you that they are struggling with mental illness or substance use?
Join us for this workshop to learn the effective LEAP® approach
LEAP® (Listen-Empathize-Agree-Partner) is an evidence-based program that teaches you how to create alliances that lead to treatment and recovery. It is a radically different approach to more effectively help those with anosognosia (lack of insight).
This informative half-day course is for individuals who want to learn how to use the LEAP approach. In this workshop you will learn to:
- Identify and understand anosognosia — a brain-based symptom that impairs the ability to recognize one’s illness. THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS “DENIAL”!
- Reduce anger, resistance and defensiveness that can interfere with treatment
- Re-establish trust & broken relationships
- Create an alliance that leads to treatment
The Course Includes:
- The 7 LEAP® communication tools
- Cutting edge science-based practices
- Updated anosognosia research
- Interactive role plays
This half-day class will be held at The New Center, 1100 North Main Street, Ann Arbor.
Saturday, June 1, 2019 – 9:00 am – 2:00 pm
Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org with LEAP in the subject line if you would like to attend.
A recommended donation of $30.00 to NAMIWC is appreciated
Lunch will not be provided so please feel free to bring a bag lunch or snacks
This class is offered by Patricia Doyle, Kathi Waters and Barb Higman. Recently trained by world-renowned expert in psychiatry and forensic psychology, Dr. Xavier Amador. For additional information, visit the LEAP® website: www.leapinstitute.org.