By Susan Todoroff
Bring the whole family, including the dog, to this year’s NAMIWalks event, and be a part of nearly a hundred communities walking to support mental health initiatives.
This year marks 17 years of people joining together in the country’s largest mental health fundraising event. This 5K walk takes place on Saturday, Sept. 28, and benefits local NAMI affiliates. People of all ages and fitness levels will have fun while getting some outdoor exercise and contributing to one of the most important pubic health issues we face. Those who are unable to walk can still participate by registering to be a volunteer or a “virtual walker.”
You can preregister online, as well as find out more information on the NAMIWalks website. It’s free to register and walk, although registration is required. Ask family and friends to sponsor your walk, and everyone who personally raises at least $100 gets an event T-shirt on walk day! Once you’ve registered, your family and friends can visit your personalized page to make a donation and you can track your progress as you reach your goal.
Just the facts:
- What: NAMIWalks — a national fundraising 5K walk to benefit local affiliates of NAMI
- Who: Individuals, groups, children, pets!
- Where: Belle Isle Park, 2 Inselruhe Ave., Detroit, MI 48207
- When: Saturday, Sept. 28. Check-in starts at 8 a.m./Walk at 10 a.m.
- Why: Because this is an important issue affecting all sectors of society!
- Contact: Briana Sallis at 517-853-0952 or email@example.com.