Volunteer Date or Ongoing Project: Ongoing
Estimated Time Commitment Per Week: 2-3 hours twice per month
Location/Hours: Zoom, twice a month, usually 7:00-8:30 pm
Program Coordinator/ Contact Information
Patricia Doyle, firstname.lastname@example.org
Description: The leader role would be to co-facilitate a Connection Recovery support group. A Connection Leader is one who lives with a mental health illness and is recovering and stabilizing to a point that they are able to support and provide empathy for others who are earlier in their journey. The co-leaders facilitate the group, promote open discussion and encourage sharing of coping strategies. Experience is helpful but not required.
Ideal Skill Set
- Friendly, professional demeanor
- Previous experience leading a support group, helping with a mental health text or hotline
Process of Becoming a Connection Support Group Leader
To give you an idea of what is involved, we have provided the process we use to onboard a new leader.
- Fill out an online volunteer application found on the website NAMIWC.org.
- Sign up and attend a zoom orientation meeting with Pat Doyle, Volunteer Coordinator.
- Attend and participate in at least six meetings.
- Be recommended by a Group Leader to attend training.
- Interview with Connection Program Leader.
- Join NAMIWC. (Info provided by Volunteer Coordinator.)
- If approved, attend training and be certified to lead Connection.
- Attend group and practice being a co-leader.
We ask for a one-year commitment to lead a group. Exceptions can be made if necessary.
What you will receive:
- NAMI WC will pay for the two-day training you attend.
- This training will teach you the NAMI format and process used in leading our support groups. NAMI requires that groups using the NAMI name follow the NAMI format.
- If your group is on Zoom, we will provide Zoom training if you need it.
- NAMI WC will provide peer supervision by an experienced leader.
- Periodic continuing education programs will be offered.
- There will be a NAMI Connection Leader or Coordinator available to you if you need assistance handling a situation in your group, need help identifying resources needed by a participant, or to debrief following an intense group session.
If you’re interested in the position please fill out the form below and someone will contact you soon.